版主:x-file
 · 九阳全新免清洗型豆浆机 全美最低

美国独立战争中一位联邦战士写给妻子的信
送交者:  2014年10月05日00:53:01 于 [世界游戏论坛] 发送悄悄话
Historical Document: Sullivan Ballou Letter
July 14, 1861
Camp Clark, Washington

My very dear Sarah:
The indications are very strong that we shall move in a few days—perhaps tomorrow. Lest I should not be able to write again, I feel impelled to write a few lines that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more . . .

I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter. I know how strongly American Civilization now leans on the triumph of the Government and how great a debt we owe to those who went before us through the blood and sufferings of the Revolution. And I am willing—perfectly willing—to lay down all my joys in this life, to help maintain this Government, and to pay that debt . . .

Sarah my love for you is deathless, it seems to bind me with mighty cables that nothing but Omnipotence could break; and yet my love of Country comes over me like a strong wind and bears me unresistibly on with all these chains to the battle field.

The memories of the blissful moments I have spent with you come creeping over me, and I feel most gratified to God and to you that I have enjoyed them for so long. And hard it is for me to give them up and burn to ashes the hopes of future years, when, God willing, we might still have lived and loved together, and seen our sons grown up to honorable manhood, around us. I have, I know, but few and small claims upon Divine Providence, but something whispers to me—perhaps it is the wafted prayer of my little Edgar, that I shall return to my loved ones unharmed. If I do not my dear Sarah, never forget how much I love you, and when my last breath escapes me on the battle field, it will whisper your name. Forgive my many faults and the many pains I have caused you. How thoughtless and foolish I have often times been! How gladly would I wash out with my tears every little spot upon your happiness . . .

But, O Sarah! If the dead can come back to this earth and flit unseen around those they loved, I shall always be near you; in the gladdest days and in the darkest nights . . . always, always, and if there be a soft breeze upon your cheek, it shall be my breath, as the cool air fans your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by. Sarah do not mourn me dead; think I am gone and wait for thee, for we shall meet again . . .

Sullivan Ballou was killed a week later at the first Battle of Bull Run, July 21, 1861.

(我的翻译)

我最亲爱的萨拉,
有很明显的迹象表明我们这几天就要出发了,也许就是明天.
我觉得我很需要给你写几句话,因为我可能会永远的不在。
我对我参与的事业没有怀疑,充满自信,我的勇气依然。我知道联邦政府的胜利对美国文明是多么的重要,也知道我们对我们独立革命的前辈们的流血牺牲所应该承担的责任。
萨拉,我对你的爱是永生的,这个爱像是一条无论什么力量也不会割断绳索把我和你联在一起,然而,我对国家的爱像更强劲的风,不可抗拒的把我拉向战场。
我无时无刻的总记起我们在一起度过的欢乐时光,我由衷的感谢上帝和你让我在这么长的时间里感到如此的幸福。
多么希望在未来的岁月里,我们能够永远的生活在一起,我们能够永远的相爱,看着我们的孩子们,在我们的周围长大成人。让我放弃这些美好期望是那样的艰难。我知道,有上帝的意志,我好像听到有亲切的耳语,也许是我的小艾德嘉的轻声祈祷,让我安然无恙的回到我亲人的身旁。但是,如果我不能够,我亲爱的萨拉,请永远不要忘记我有多么的爱你。我在战场上的最后一次呼吸,将是呼唤你的名字。请原谅我做的错事和我给你的痛苦,我曾经是多么的没有脑子和愚蠢。我会很高兴的用我的泪水洗去你幸福中的任何一点瑕疵。
但是,啊,萨拉,如果死去的人可以不被察觉的回到这个世界,我会永远的伴你的身边。无论是在你最欢乐的时光,还是在你最黑暗的夜晚,永远,永远。当你感到吹来一阵微风,那就是我的呼吸。如果你感到有凉意掠过你的发髻,那就是我的精灵飘过你的身体。萨拉,请不要为我祭奠,只当我是去了远方,我在那里等你,因为我们会再次相遇。

(一个星期之后,作者在战场牺牲。
萨拉没有再结婚,和孩子生活在一起,80岁去世,死后,和作者埋葬在一起)

0%(0)
0%(0)
  亲,回时坛骂街去吧?  /无内容 - 透气 10/06/14 (520)
  感人--美国人大都知道什么是对的,做对的事。  /无内容 - brav 10/05/14 (507)
  改正:美国南北内战时期的信,不是独立战争。  /无内容 - x-file 10/05/14 (485)
    南方明显的缺理缺人缺钱,唯一不缺的是勇气 - x-file 10/07/14 (498)
标 题 (必选项):
内 容 (选填项):
实用资讯
北美最大最全的折扣机票网站
美国名厂保健品一级代理,花旗参,维他命,鱼油,卵磷脂,30天退货保证.买百免邮.
一周点击热帖 更多>>
一周回复热帖